Featuring UNL's Department of Agricultural Economics' Cornhusker Outlook Series
Market Journal Roadshow will focus on ag outlook and management decisions for farmers and ranchers at four locations across Nebraska November 28 - December 2. The meetings will be a valuable opportunity to gather information on the current ag outlook and apply it to management decisions for 2017 and beyond.
“With lower commodity price prospects and profit potential right now, producers are looking closely at production, marketing and financial decisions to manage successfully in this challenging environment,” said Brad Lubben, Nebraska Extension policy specialist and series organizer. “Our annual outlook series, combined with the focus and attention of the Market Journal television show, provides the right information at the right time to help producers analyze and make management decisions today to prepare and position operations for the year ahead.”
The meetings are structured for a concise, fast‑paced discussion of crop, livestock, policy, financial, weather, and climate outlook with attention to production, management and marketing decisions for 2017.
- Jay Parsons, Extension economist at UNL will set the stage for the meeting agenda with a discussion of key farm and ranch management issue and will return to close the conference with management lessons and decisions to take home. Parsons will draw on his expertise in risk management to incorporate the marketing, production, policy, and financial discussion into risk management decisions and strategies for producers for 2017.
- Tina Barrett, director of Nebraska Farm Business, Inc. will keynote the meeting and discuss the farm financial outlook and financial management decisions ahead for producers. Building on data from hundreds of farm cooperators in NFBI, Barrett will focus on the current financial position and trends for Nebraska agriculture and the financial management challenges and decisions facing producers, with a focus on budgeting and cost control.
- The Nebraska Department of Agriculture has partnered with the UNL Department of Agricultural Economics on recent survey research regarding farm finance and will address the results and implications of the survey as well as programs and opportunities for producers.
- Jeff Wilkerson, host of Market Journal, will convene an ag outlook panel featuring Cory Walters, Extension crop economist at UNL Brad Lubben, Extension policy specialist at UNL, and a livestock economist to be named. The panel will discuss the current price environment and market outlook for Nebraska crop and livestock producers as well as the policy outlook, with implications for production, marketing and risk management decisions in the year ahead.
- Al Dutcher, Extension Agricultural Climatologist and Market Journal regular, will discuss the weather and climate outlook, providing producers valuable information not just for the near term, but also for longer-run decisions and strategies.
- Kearney Monday, November 28, 1 – 4 p.m. CST Holiday Inn 110 Second Avenue Kearney, NE 68847
- Sidney Tuesday, November 29, 9 a.m. – 12:00 noon MST Country Inn and Suites 664 Chase Boulevard Sidney, NE 69162
- Norfolk Thursday, December 1, 1 – 4 p.m. CST Lifelong Learning Center 701 E. Benjamin Avenue Norfolk, NE 68701
- Lincoln Friday, December 2, 9 a.m. – 12:00 noon CST Nebraska Innovation Campus Conference Center 2021 Transformation Drive Lincoln, NE 68508
The Market Journal Roadshow is free to attend, but preregistration is requested.
To register, click the following link.